Melanie Anderson will present an all-day workshop titled “The Senior Experience” Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at Procam in Livonia, Michigan.
A combination of lecture, posing, lighting, and photography, Melanie will explain everything from beginning to end:
• Senior Model Program
• Sales & Marketing
• Client Communication
• Studio Workflow, and more!
DPPA is sponsoring a Folio Competition and workshop by Kirk Voclain titled, “Coolest Studio in Town with Senior Portraits” at the Troy Community Center on March 15, 2016 at 7:00pm.
About the Workshop
This program centers on COOLNESS, or popularity, in the eyes of your seniors. Yes, seniors have an opinion, and if they don’t think your studio is the COOLEST, then forget it, they won’t come to you. This ain’t your Momma’s senior portraits. Get ready to learn, laugh, and love taking senior portraits. Kirk will show you all of his secrets to getting that $2,000 average. The senior will love you, and the parents will not stop throwing money at you.
The 2015 DPPA Print Competition will be held Tuesday, November 17th at the Laurel Park Holiday Inn in Livonia, MI. Click here for the DPPA print competition rules and forms. Note the size and mounting rules have changed, so don’t make any assumptions if you submitted images for competition in the past.
I strongly urge you to enter print competitions like the DPPA’s. Here’s why:
• There is no better way to improve your skill and confidence as a photographer than to enter a print competition. Preparing to submit entries to the DPPA competition (selecting and tweaking images, discussing choices with peers) forces you to look deeper at your own photography.
• We take the time to bring in a juried panel of print judges – the same caliber of judges you would encounter at a regional or national competition. If your prints do well at DPPA, you can be assured that they will be competitive at the regional shows next year.
• If you win a competition, you know your work is as good as or better than any other photography your customer sees. That knowledge alone should give you the confidence to build your sales and justify your prices.
• Award-winning prints give you the confidence to pursue PPA’s Merits and Degrees program. With a PPA degree, you are not only recognized by your peers, but a degree can help you to justify higher prices for your work.
Of course, the real winners are the photographers who enter the competition and don’t win. The judges will help you understand your strengths and weaknesses. Their suggestions and comments can be the focus you need to take your designs to the next level.
Interested in submitting a competition print? Join our class October 12 or call 810-239-8671.
Christine Walsh-Newton will hold a PPA Merit Class titled Print Competition 101 on Monday, August 24, 2015 from 10am till 5pm at JDLab in Flint, Michigan.
During the class, Christine will walk attendees through the rules and guidelines for entering both prints and digital images into competition at the PPM and PPA’s Northeast Districts, as well as PPA’s esteemed International Photographic Competitions. She will cover the entry process including:
• Forms, Deadlines & Entry fees
• Proper Mounting & Shipping
• Kinds of Awards
One of the benefits of PPA membership is that members can purchase up to $1,000,000 in business liability insurance. Liability insurance covers you from any faults in relation to third-party bodily injury or property damage. This policy costs just $236/year, which is 10-30% lower than similar small business liability policies. For more information, click here.
Jeff is one of the top photographers in this market. He’s figured out the “secret sauce” to shoot high-volume sports profitably. His staff shoots dozens of sports teams in a day. He will share what had made him one of the top youth sports photographers in the nation. Don’t miss this money-making opportunity! Click here to learn more.
The seminar will be held at Holiday Inn in Livonia (directions here). Registration begins at 6:30 pm, the seminar begins at 7 pm. Cost is $29 for DPPA members, $45 for guests.
DPPA is hosting Kirk Russell in an “Effective Marketing” program Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at the Seaholm High School Media Center in Birmingham, MI Map & Directions
Here are the program notes:
Effective Marketing is no longer an oxymoron. Studios who aren’t finding ways to attract, motivate, and engage clients quickly find themselves hung out to dry. How are you hanging?
Join or renew your Detroit Professional Photographers Association (DPPA) membership on or before October 19th, and you will receive a coupon for a free 20-page lay-flat photo book of any size from JD.
This is the perfect opportunity to try out our most popular lay-flat photo book – but more importantly – it rewards you for your membership in a local organization whose goal is to make you a better photographer.
To get your free photo book, follow these steps:
1. Fill out and send in a DPPA membership application online. You can pay via credit card online, or send a check to DPPA. Renewing members can use the new renewal option from the menu.
2. Attend a September or October DPPA meeting. Coupon codes will be handed out to all paid members for 2013.
3. Create your photo book in ROES, include the code, and send us your order.
This offer expires November 1st, so get started now.
Briana Graham will present a workshop entitled, “All About Children’s Portraiture” on Tuesday, Sept 20 at 7pm. This workshop is sponsored by the Detroit Professional Photographer’s Association.
Brianna Graham is an internationally recognized portrait artist, specializing in children, families, and high school seniors. Besides the magic of her eye for light and color, Brianna also emphasizes the concept of balancing the art and business of photography.
For the past 4 years, Brianna has taught workshops across the country in Australia. She has been featured in Professional Photographer Magazine, Rangefinder, and has given presentations at WPPI and Imaging USA.